Good dental health begins with daily brushing and flossing, and at Smile Center for Kids in Sunland and Edgemere TX, we remind parents that a lifetime of good dental health begins during childhood.
Children should brush their teeth twice a day, just like grownups. They’re going to need help until they’re about five years old. Before that most kids don’t have enough agility to do a thorough job.
What do we mean by a good job?
- Use the right tools. Kids should use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoridated toothpaste. It can help to let youngsters pick out their own toothbrush at the store. There are tons to choose from!
- Use enough toothpaste. Children under two can get by with just a tiny dab of toothpaste on their brush. From the age of three, use more: about a pea-sized blob.
- Brush properly. Make sure kids brush properly: in circular motions, getting along the gum-line. They should brush the inside of the teeth and the chewing surfaces, too.
- Spend two minutes. When kids are still small, it’s enough to get them brushing. Once they’re about three years old, though, make sure they brush for at least two minutes. If this seems like an eternity to them, make it fun by playing favorite songs while they brush.
- Floss. Children should floss their teeth, too. Once a day is enough. The best time of day? Before bed.
And then there are regular cleanings and checkups! At Smile Center for Kids in Sunland and Edgemere TX, we recommend twice a year. Our services include pediatric and general dentistry. Parents from El Paso, Anthony, Socorro, Horizon City, and Canutillo trust us with their children’s dental health. Contact us today!